Exchange 2003 SMTP Journaling Setup
Create Mail Contact
- Open the Active Directory Users and Computers by selecting Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools.
- Right click Users and select New, then select Contact.
- In the New Object - Contact window, type "ArcTitan" in the First name field, "Archive" in the Last name field. Click Next.
- Select Create an Exchange email address checkbox. Click Modify.
- Select SMTP Address in the New E-mail Address window and then click OK.
- In the E-mail address field on the General tab of the Internet Address Properties window, enter the equivalent of archive@[FQDN of ArcTitan server]) i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Internet Address Properties window, click the Advanced tab
- Check the box for Override Internet Mail settings for this recipient.
- Under Message Format: check the radio button for MIME.
- Under Message Body: check the radio button for Plain Text, and then click OK.
- The Internet Address Properties window closes. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Create SMTP Connector
Open the Exchange System Manager window by selecting Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Exchange -> System Manager.
In the left-hand menu, right-click Connectors.
Select New and then select SMTP Connector.
In the Properties window, type "ArcTitan Archive" in the Name field.
Select Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts. Type the IP Address of the ArcTitan server into the resultant field.
- Within the Local Bridgeheads section, click Add. The Add Bridgehead dialog box displays. Select the server in which you would like to name the bridgehead. Click OK to close the dialog box.
In the Properties window, click the Address Space tab. Click Add.
Select SMTP in the resulting Add Address Space dialog box. Click OK.
- In the Email Domain field of the Internet Address Space Properties dialog, enter fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of ArcTitan server (e.g. company.arctitan.com). Type 1 in the Cost field. Click OK to close the dialog box.
- The FQDN of the ArcTitan server is displayed in the Properties window. Only this item should be selected in the Address Space field.
In the Properties window, click the Advanced tab. Click Outbound Security
Make sure TLS encryption checkbox is unchecked, in the resulting Outbound Security dialog box. Click OK to close the dialog box.
Click OK to close the Properties window.
- Open the Exchange System Manager window by selecting Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Exchange ->System Manager
- In the left navigation menu, select Servers, select your server name. Thereafter, select the Storage Group that contains the mailboxes to which journaling should be applied.
- In the right-hand content frame, right-click the Mailbox Store you wish to apply journaling, from within the list. Select Properties in the drop-down menu.
In the Mailbox Store Properties window, select the Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store checkbox
In Select Recipient dialog box, type the name of the Journaling Mail Contact created earlier. Click OK.
The Journaling Mail Contact appears within the Mailbox Store Properties window. Click OK to close the window
Disable Non Delivery Reports (NDRs) For ArcTitan
- Open the Exchange System Manager window by selecting Start -> Programs - > Microsoft Exchange -> System Manager
- Expand the Global Settings folder in the left navigation menu. Right-click Internet Message Formats. Select New and then select Domain.
- In the General tab of the Properties window, enter the fully qualified domain name of the ArcTitan server (e.g. company.arctitan.com)
- In the Message Format tab of the Properties window, select the MIME and "Provide message body as plain text" radio buttons.
- In the Advanced tab of the Properties window, select "Never use" within the Exchange rich-text format section.
- Deselect the Allow non-delivery reports checkbox